Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 lb. each lean ground beef and chorizo sausage, casing removed (or use 1 lb. ground beef, total and omit sausage)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- liquid hot pepper seasoning
- 1 to 2 cans refried beans (16 oz. each)
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, mild or hot
- 2 to 3 cups shredded jack or mild cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup prepared taco sauce, red or green
- garnishes, suggestions below
- 8 cups crisp fried tortilla pieces or corn chips
1Crumble beef and sausage in skillet; add onion. Cook on high, stirring until meat is lightly browned; discard fat. Season with salt and liquid hot pepper seasoning to taste.
2Spread beans in a shallow 10 x 15 oval or rectangle pan or ovenproof dish. Top evenly with meat; sprinkle chilies over bean and meat mixture; cover evenly with cheese and drizzle with taco sauce.
3Cover and chill if made ahead. Bake, uncovered at 400 for 20 to 25 minutes or until very hot throughout. Remove from oven. Quickly garnish with some or all of the following:
1/4 cup chopped green onion, including tops and about 1 cup pitted ripe olives In the center, mound 1 can thawed avocado dip or 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped and top with about 1 cup sour cream. Add a mild, red pickled pepper and fresh parsley sprigs. Then quickly tuck about 8 cups fried tortillas or corn chips just around the edges of the bean mixture, making a petal effect and serve at once. Scoop up bean mixture with tortilla pieces. If desired, keep latter hot on electric warming tray while serving.
Serves 10 to 12