Italian Style Potato Latkes
Catherine Cappiello Pappas
- 5 potatoes – quartered lengthwise
- 1 egg plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 small red onion - quartered
- 3tbs. flour
- ¼ cup fresh italian parsley – chopped
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated romano or parmesan cheese
- vegetable oil for frying
Place the shredded potato and onion in a kitchen towel and squeeze the excess juice.
Place in large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
Place about ½ inch of oil in a large cast iron frying pan and heat.
Using two tablespoons, spoon the batter into the oil. When one side is crisp, carefully turn over and finish cooking on the other side.
Place on paper towels to drain the excess oil.