Group active since Wed, Jan 26, 2011
Did you know that every day of the year celebrates some type of food?
Just think you can have a holiday everyday by cooking the celebrated food of the day.
Join and celebrate! Share your favorite holiday food thoughts, memories and recipes.
Jun 29, 2014
Dec 18, 2013
Easy Chocolate Fudge
Dec 11, 2013
Santa Claus Cookies
Sep 12, 2011
SALISBURY STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
Makes 8 servings
2 pounds extra lean ground beef
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (or 4 egg whites)
1/4 cup unseasoned dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons unsalted organic butter
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, quartered
2 medium shallots, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix beef, eggs or egg whites, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 8 round patties and reserve.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it foams, place 4 patties in pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned. Move cooked patties to a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and cook remaining 4 patties. Drain grease from pan but keep browned bits.
3. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in same pan. Add in mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
4. Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in red wine to deglaze the pan, using a spatula to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Pour in broth and stir until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to half.
5. Stir in 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Pour sauce over patties in baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm with sauce from the pan spooned over the patties.
MASHED POTATOES WITH CHEESE
Makes 6 to 8 servings
3 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
2/3 cup evaporated milk, room temperature
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Cook potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl. Smash potatoes with a masher and add milk. Mash or beat milk into potatoes until creamy. Stir in scallions and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
HERBED PEAS AND CARROTS
Makes 8 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
7 medium carrots, peeled, small dice
2 medium shallots, peeled, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup water
1 pound frozen tiny peas, thawed
1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute carrots and shallots, seasoned with salt and pepper, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Pour in water and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Mix in peas and cook 3 minutes to heat through. Take pan off of heat and top with parsley.
Makes 8 servings
5 medium green apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter an 8-inch square pan. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using your fingers, rub butter into oat mixture until small clumps are made.
3. Top apples with oat mixture. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until apples are tender. Let rest 30 minutes before slicing.
Sept 10-TV Dinner Day
Sept 11- National Hot Cross Bun Day
Sept 12-" " Chocolate Milkshake Day
Sept 13-" " Peanut Day
Sept 14 Snack a Pickle Day
Sept 15-National Cream Filled Donut Day
Sept 16-Eat a Hoagie Day
Sept 17-National LInguini Day